Every American community, regardless of income or location, deserves world-class public schools with cutting-edge technology and high-quality teachers in order to put our kids on the road to success and happiness. Any American who wants a college education must be able to afford one without incurring a lifetime of student loan debt that ensnares them, their parents and their children.
Securing access to quality education for all
All Americans, regardless of capabilities, can learn and grow through our schools.
- I support full funding for Individuals with Disabilities Education Act programs for individuals with disabilities.
Making college more affordable, accessible, and effective
No one should be denied the ability to attend college.
- I’ve cosponsored the College for All Act, which makes tuition and fees at public four-year colleges and universities free for any family making $125,000 or less.
- I’ve cosponsored of the America’s College Promise Act, which makes two years of community college free.
Easing the student debt crisis
Our country faces a financial crisis due to the crushing burden of student debt, which impedes several generations’ ability to start families, start businesses, or own homes.
- My Strengthening Forgiveness for Public Servants Act would enhance student loan forgiveness for teachers, police officers, public health workers & others who dedicate their careers to public service.
- My Student Loan Interest Deduction Act would increase the student loan interest deduction for individuals from $2,500 to $5,000.
- My Know your Repayment Options Act would inform all federal student loan borrowers of all repayment options on a yearly basis, particularized for each individual, so they can pick the plan that works best.
- My Fairness in Forgiveness Act would let current and former long-time workers at all 16 privately operated Department of Energy National Laboratories seek forgiveness of their federal student loans.
- I’ve cosponsored the Bank on Students Emergency Loan Refinancing Act to allow borrowers to refinance federal student loans.
Strengthening workforce development and securing life-long learning
We must ensure Americans of all ages have access to education to make our workforce strong and flexible.
- We must invest in community-based literacy programs and programs that provide basic skills, including education to strengthen proficiency in English.
- I voted for the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act to improve our nation’s workforce development system and help put Americans back to work.
Providing high-quality, cutting-edge schools across the US
Your ZIP code and paycheck shouldn’t determine the quality of your public school. In a changing economy, schools must adapt and prepare students for a changing workforce. That includes providing access to college courses in high school and offering specialized training programs that help students make confident decisions about whether to seek a college degree.
Early learning opportunities
High-quality early childhood education helps kids fulfill their potential and succeed in college and careers.
- I’ve cosponsored legislation to create matching grants to local educational agencies to create high-quality pre-K programs for children from low-income families.
Supporting teachers and enhancing teaching quality
A child’s engagement and success in school often is determined by the quality of his or her teacher, and we must support teachers in order to ensure our children get the best education.
- I voted for the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA) – reauthorizing the Elementary and Secondary Education Act – to help students and schools succeed by advancing equity, requiring high academic standards, supporting local innovations, and more.
- I introduced the STEM K to Career Act to create a ladder to success for science, technology, engineering, and math students and professionals across the country by offering federal student loan relief to STEM teachers, providing tax credits to certain employers that provide internships or apprenticeships in STEM fields, and amend the federal Work Study program to offer more STEM opportunities.
Safe school climate
We must find ways to reduce bullying and harassment and to improve learning conditions.
- I’ve cosponsored the Safe Schools Improvement Act, which directs local educational agencies to establish policies that prohibit conduct like bullying and harassment.
- I am a cosponsor of the bipartisan Student Non-Discrimination Act, which prohibits public school students from being excluded from participating in, or being subjected to discrimination under, any federally-assisted educational program based on their actual or perceived sexual orientation or gender identity.
- Helping students face the crushing debt that follows them long after they have graduated college.
- Investing in community literacy programs.
- Providing high-quality schools from pre-K to high school that does not depend on family income.
- Creating a safe school that allows all children to learn without bullying or fear.