The economy isn’t the stock market, the GDP, or the unemployment rate; the economy is YOU, and what it takes for you to pay your bills and follow your dreams. We must build an economy in which all Americans benefit from booming business – not just the top-floor executives but every worker who contributes to success. That includes raising the minimum wage, changing our tax code to reward companies that create jobs in this country instead of shipping jobs overseas, and expanding our tech innovation economy outside the coastal hubs and into the heartland.
All Americans who want jobs must be able to find employment, and Americans shouldn’t have to work multiple jobs just to get by.
- My bipartisan Main Street Revival Act would let new small businesses in economically depressed areas defer paying payroll taxes for their first year, helping them get off the ground and create jobs.
Americans must have the universal basic skills they need to be ready for the economy of the 21st century.
- My bipartisan Widening Internet Readiness for Employment Development (WIRED) Act would improve the provision of online job training services.
- I’ve cosponsored legislation supporting closer alignment between registered apprenticeship programs, employers, and other program sponsors.
Encourage corporate social responsibility
The federal government should support businesses that support their employees.
- We should provide tax incentives to companies that create profit-sharing plans, giving employees a bigger stake in their work while boosting wages.
- Businesses should support expanded worker training to ensure their employees are equipped with the skills needed for success in our changing economy.
Entrepreneurs are the backbone of our economy and we can do more to help these innovative individuals get their businesses off the ground.
- My Start-up America’s Students Act would establish a competitive grant program providing universities with start-up and operational funds for business incubators giving students resources and support to start and grow their own business.
Every American must have the opportunity to earn a living wage that can fully provide for them and their family.
- I am an original cosponsor of the Raise the Wage Act of 2017, which would raise the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2024.
I am committed to ensuring the rights and safety of all American workers.
- I’ve cosponsored the Paycheck Fairness Act, to improve protections for pay equity for women.
- I’ve cosponsored the Eliminate So-Called Right-to-Work Legislation Nationwide Act in order to preserve the labor protections that build the American middle class.
Fair tax code
Our tax code shouldn’t favor the rich and corporations that put profits over people; it should incentivize domestic job creation while providing the government with appropriate funds to serve the public.
- I’ve cosponsored legislation to provide a 20 percent tax credit for businesses to bring jobs back from abroad and to disallow deductions for shipping jobs overseas.
- We should explore how we can better use the tax code to increase economic activity in low-income areas.
Connecting the Disconnected
We must remove barriers to economic growth in our underserved communities.
- I am a cosponsor of the bipartisan Investing in Opportunity Act, which would provide tax breaks for long-term investments in areas that are struggling economically.
- I am a cosponsor of the Today's American Dream Act, which would invest in workforce training and apprenticeship programs, encourage homeownership and entrepreneurship in local neighborhoods, and promote access to high-speed Internet and quality health care.
Trade can improve economic opportunity around the globe, but we must make sure that it is fair and that U.S. businesses hurt by trade are given assistance. I’m open to any trade deal that means more good-paying jobs for U.S. workers.
- I voted against Trade Promotion Authority legislation, which would have removed the voice of Congress in negotiating deals such as the Trans-Pacific Partnership.
All Americans should be able to feel secure that they will have financial security through their retirement.
- I am committed to ensuring the long-term viability of Social Security, including raising the cap on wages subject to payroll taxes.
- I’ve opposed resolutions that roll back programs that extend access to retirement accounts.
Paid Family Leave
We need a paid family leave policy available to all Americans regardless of industry or family circumstance. Whether you work part-time, full-time, or are self-employed, you should be able to take the time you need away from work to support your family.
- I have cosponsored the Family and Medical Insurance Leave Act, which would guarantee workers up to 12 weeks of paid leave for pregnancy, birth or adoption of a child, serious illness, or to care for a family member.
- Raising the minimum wage to $15/hour, adjusted for inflation
- Providing women equal pay for equal work
- Enforcing free trade rules to keep America competitive
- Research and development funding for clean energy technology